Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Silent Cal and the Boy Scouts

The more I learn about Calvin Coolidge (30th PotUS), the more I come away impressed by him. I recently saw a link to an address that he gave to the Boy Scouts back in 1926 during his presidency. As a 'volunteer' BSA leader, I was inspired by his words which describe with eloquence the noble purposes and objectives of the Boy Scouts of America.

The address is long, but well-worth reading. Here is the address in full, and I've also picked out a key paragraph that summarizes President Coolidge's thoughts about the BSA.

The more I have studied this movement, its inception, purposes, organization, and principles, the more I have been impressed. Not only is it based on the fundamental rules of right thinking and acting but it seems to embrace in its code almost every virtue needed in the personal and social life of mankind. It is a wonderful instrument for good. It is an inspiration to you whose duty and privilege it is to widen its horizon and extend its influence. If every boy in the United States between the ages of 12 and 17 could be placed under the wholesome influences of the scout program and should live up to the scout oath and rules, we would hear fewer pessimistic words as to the future of our Nation.


1 comment:

Malinda said...

Thanks for picking a key paragraph for me since you knew I wouldn't read the whole thing. Amen to Calvin Coolidge.