Thursday, June 3, 2010

If your team scores too many points, you lose!

I've heard about leagues that will end the game early if one team gets too far ahead, a so-called 'mercy' rule. But a soccer league in Canada really takes the cake. In an attempt to make things more 'fair' and not make the losing teams feel too badly about their loss, they have instituted a rule where a team automatically loses if they are more than 5 points ahead at the end of the game.

I've sat through my share of my own kids' soccer blowouts, and I don't think their self esteem was permanently harmed by it. In fact we look at those times as great learning opportunities.

I'm of the opinion that The Incredibles is the best animated movie ever for many reasons, not the least of which is the way it tells the truth about the whole self-esteem movement.

One of my favorite lines from the movie is spoken by Dash in a conversation with his mom:

Helen: Everyone's special, Dash.
Dash: [muttering] Which is another way of saying no one is.

2 comments:

Malinda said...

So, if we lived in Canada, Ben's team would have won every soccer game this season. :)

Claudy said...

I like Malinda's comment:)