Saturday, March 27, 2010

Earth Hour vs. Human Achievement Hour

I hate wasting energy.  I am usually the first one in my office in the morning, and it bugs me to no end when all of the office lights are left on all night.  And, just ask my kids how I feel about them leaving the lights on in our house when they aren't being used.

Having said that, I have to object to the so-called "Earth Hour" that's supposed to be happening tonight.  Basically this is an opportunity for the enviro-fringe to feel good about themselves while they accomplish nothing. In fact, they are probably wasting energy.

Instead of participating in this onanistic excercise, I will be celebrating Human Achievement Hour. Rather than sitting in the dark like a caveman (or a North Korean), shunning technology, I will be rejoicing in the technological achievements that have made life so good for so many people on earth.

4 comments:

Malinda said...

Great. What movie are we going to watch? :) The North Korean pictures were very cool/telling.

Malinda said...

p.s. I love that you use words like "onanistic."

Katie Jason said...

You are an awesome family :) Luckily both Jason and I are on the same page when it comes to not leaving things on unless you are actively in the room - - - such a pet peeve!

Nate said...

Don Boudreaux is one of my favorite blogging economists.
He says things with just the right amount of wit and sarcasm.